BASIC INFORMATION ON THE PARISH MODEL FOR RURAL DEVELOPMENT
The Road to Socio-economic transformation; unlocking the potential
The 3rd National Nevelopment Plan (NDP3) has adopted the parish model as a strategy for rural socio and economic transformation .
The parish will be the epicentre of multi-sectoral community development planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring and accountability .
The LC2 Chairperson and Parish Chief shall be responsible for political and administrative stewardship in the implementation of the parish model in their respective parishes with support from the Sub County and district technical planning committee (STPC and DTPC ).
- The Parish Development Committee chaired by the Parish Chief will coordinate implementation of the parish model .
- Every Parish is expected to mobilize and organize it’s productive youth ,women and men into a parish production and marketing cooperative association .
- Every parish cooperative association is expected to prioritize and plan for commercial Agricultural, fishing, livestock, trade, commercial activities they would like to engage in for income generation .
- Every parish cooperative society is expected to start a SACCO to save and invest in strategic commodities in which members have comparative and competitive advantage with ready market .
- The Central Government will supplement the locally mobilized funds with central government revolving funds to undertake planned productive projects .The YLP, UWEP, Emyooga- and DEEG funds will be channelled to the parish to implement the parish model .
- To increase production and productivity every parish will have access to tractor services and improved seeds and breeds .
- Production extension staff are expected to provide extension services to farmers, fishermen and livestock keepers .
- Every parish will be provided machinery such as cassava chippers, flour Miller’s ,oil Miller’s etc to process and package and brand their products .
- Members of the parish cooperative association will be supported to have access to local, regional and export markets .Set up a parish market /trading centre .
- Support construction of a parish resource centre with offices and hall for community meetings .
- Set up a parish database for evidence based planning and programming .
- Provide other social and community development services including games and sports facilities for youth .
- Have a plan to develop the parish centre into an urban growth centres .
- Plan for extension of community access roads, water and electricity services to the parish centre .
- Prioritize recruitment of parish chiefs ,community development assistants and extension workers to implement the parish Model rural transformation model .
- All community based organizations ,NGOs and FBOs to align and harmonize their activities to the Parish Model strategy .
The implementation of the parish Model will start in the new financial year 2021/2022 .
There is a plan to orient all key stakeholders in the planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring and reporting on the performance of the Parish Model .
Greetings from Kigarama!